Skip to main content

Discombobulated But Good

 



I've always had an odd relationship with The Color Purple. I don't care enough to read the book, and some family of mine participated in a community production of the Broadway musical. I do like the original movie, but it's also EXTREMELY annoying due to some of it's subject matters. I saw the remake yesterday, and it of course centers on Celie Harris-Johnson and the struggles she's had throughout her life.

The movie is all over the place in terms of it's writing, pacing, and it's music (and considering this was directed by the same idiot behind Black Is King, I am not surprised). Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible. But there were times in the movie where I wanted more but got less, and in the times I wanted less, I got more than I would like. A lot of songs from the musical were cut in favor of new songs that weren't so great. The songs from the musical that stayed in the movie were arranged horribly. I also felt that the plot moved pretty fast and that important moments from the story weren't really done justice in this. Again, it wasn't terrible, but certain scenes that should've made an impact just fell short.

As for the good parts of this movie; the acting was good. Fantasia actually did better than I expected. She was overdramatic at times, but it's The Color Purple, that's kind of a requirement. Also the singing was good, some of the actors (mainly Corey Hawkins) kind off surprised me with their descent vocals. Hell, even Ciara surprised me with her solid acting. Danielle Brooks was probably the best out of everybody. The weakest on the other hand was Taraji P. Henson in terms of both acting and singing (accept for one line). While no one's acting blew me away, it was still solid enough. I also did like some of the choreography, though a majority of it was slightly unnecessary.

I don't know if this is the best thing about the film, but you can tell that they respect the original story and movie. They didn't do a very good job with balance, but it's still very apparent that the movie did want to pay homage to the original in it's own not-well-thought-out way. There are certain parts of the story that I am relieved they didn't go overboard with in terms of today's cultural climate and I appreciate that the movie respected the spiritual element of the story as well. 

This was a good movie. Not perfect, but overall I did enjoy it. Thanks for reading.


Comments

  1. Wow Naomi Awesome review. You captured all my sentiments White I enjoyed the movie and kudos to Fantasia at times I would have liked more! Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Female Performances In Music Biopics

  This list is of acting portrayals of female singers in movie biopics. Tv movies will be considered, but Tv shows are excluded.  #10: Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash- Walk The Line Witherspoon's performance as June Carter Cash has had varied reception among critics and audiences, and that's understandable. Several people found her very annoying and disagreed with her Oscar win. I wouldn't say I agree with her win, but I don't really care enough to disagree either. Overall I thought she did a relatively good job as June Carter. A good job, not a great job (she's at the bottom of this list for a reason). The problem isn't even Witherspoon, it's just that other actresses on this list could easily outshine her.  It also doesn't help that Witherspoon is the only actress on this list whose character is not the center of the movie as "Walk The Line" obviously focuses on Johnny Cash. While that does give Witherspoon a disadvantage, for me it was

Top 10 Signature Songs

  You know how an artists has that one song that pretty much defines their career and who they are as an artist? This is a list of those songs. Please keep in mind that just because an artist and their song is on the list doesn’t mean I like the song or the artist (especially the artist). It just means that I acknowledge the impact and importance of the song and/or artist. One song per artist. #10: The Real Slim Shady- Eminem Technically speaking, Lose Yourself is more notable than The Real Slim Shady . But I feel like this song really set the standard on who Eminem is as an artist. He pretty much hit the jackpot when coming up with such an iconic nickname, and Eminem presents it with so much personality, style, rhythm and aggression that it just works. I'm not even sure if it could have as much of an effect on people with someone else in the track. Only Eminem could make it work. Again I have nothing against Lose Yourself , in fact I love that song more than this one. But I feel