Skip to main content

Top 10 Signature Songs

 



You know how an artists has that one song that pretty much defines their career and who they are as an artist? This is a list of those songs. Please keep in mind that just because an artist and their song is on the list doesn’t mean I like the song or the artist (especially the artist). It just means that I acknowledge the impact and importance of the song and/or artist. One song per artist.



#10: The Real Slim Shady- Eminem


Technically speaking, Lose Yourself is more notable than The Real Slim Shady. But I feel like this song really set the standard on who Eminem is as an artist. He pretty much hit the jackpot when coming up with such an iconic nickname, and Eminem presents it with so much personality, style, rhythm and aggression that it just works. I'm not even sure if it could have as much of an effect on people with someone else in the track. Only Eminem could make it work. Again I have nothing against Lose Yourself, in fact I love that song more than this one. But I feel like this is more of a signature song than Lose Yourself.  It pretty much established Eminem as an artist and an icon. There's a reason he's forever associated with that nickname.


#9: Crazy In Love- Beyoncé


Not a Beyoncé fan, never will be. I won't deny I like several of her songs though and this is one of them. Beyoncé has a lot of notable songs, so picking one should be a hard task. But to be honest, it really wasn't (for me anyway).  One thing that helped put this song on the list is that this somewhat introduced me to Beyoncé. While the song (in my opinion) isn't super special, it's catchy enough to stick in your head and the melody of the chorus is for me the best and most recognizable part of the song. The second you hear that melody, you'll probably start dancing and you’ll immediately know what the song is. It's also just an incredibly fun song, and there's no denying that most likely everyone knows this song.


#8: Jolene- Dolly Parton


Dolly Parton is probably known for 2 things; that big hair and Jolene. This is most likely the first song that comes to mind when people think of Dolly Parton. Aside from Parton's obviously memorable personality, I think what makes this song so memorable is that the name strangely works so well with the song. Jolene to me is not a very special name (no offense to anyone named Jolene), yet the name works perfectly with the type of character she’s portrayed as. Another thing that makes this stand out is the subject matter as Parton is asking the titular character to not steal her man. Like The Real Slim Shady, I don't think this song would've worked with anyone else in the track. I feel like only Parton could make the song as memorable as it is now.


#7: Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana


It should come as no surprise that this is the only Nirvana song that I actually know or even care about. The same probably goes for anyone who does not listen to grunge. Smells Like Teen Spirit is probably one of the most well-known songs in music history as while you may not know the song completely, you might at least know the chorus or even the melody of the chorus and is most likely the only song those outside of grunge or Nirvana’s fanbase even know. It is to my understanding that Mr. Cobain was not particularly fond of this song, but I don't know if that's true. If it is then that's a real shame considering how much people hold it to a high standard and it is forever marked with the band's legacy. I'm sorry if that might've been the case with him, but it is the way it is.


#6: Girls Just Want To Have Fun- Cyndi Lauper


I've always found Cyndi Lauper odd. And (I know I'm gonna offend some people), I absolutely DESPISE this song.  I've always hated it and I most likely always will. But I also won't deny the song's legacy in her career and in music history. What most likely makes it so memorable is how fun the song is. It's easy for people to have a good time with it, especially girls for obvious reasons. Let’s be honest, who doesn’t wanna have fun at least every once in a while.  True Colors  is also a notable song of Lauper's (ironically, I also hate that song as well). And while it's beloved, it's not as beloved or as iconic as this song. This song is forever linked to Lauper's career and it’s what defines her career as well.


#5: Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen


I honestly cannot believe I actually LOVE Bohemian Rhapsody! I had nothing against the song or Queen, Its just not normally the type of music I would listen to. There's a lot of things that make this song stand out. Its operatic feel, its length; the list goes on. Also, Mercury’s dramatic vocals compliment the song perfectly. Obviously the most unique song on this list, pretty much everything about this song makes it stand out and makes it a signature. And it’s because of these qualities that I feel it was somewhat easy for this song to become a classic. It was definitely easy for it to become Queen’s signature song even in a long list of classics for such an iconic band. Bohemian Rhapsody is pretty much one of a kind.


#4: I Will Always Love You- Whitney Houston


This is the second time I've spoken about this song and ironically, we spoke about the original artists of this song just a minute ago. Not a lot of artists can do a cover justice and/or manage to make it their own, but my girl Whitney did it like the pro she is. One of the best things about her rendition of I Will Always Love You is that I feel she both respected the original while also still managing to take dominance over the song. So much dominance that people at times forget that it was originally Dolly's (with all due respect). Not a lot of artists can pull that off (by the way: don’t be surprised if another cover shows up later on this list). Whitney's voice always had such a commanding presence, and this song is one of the best (if not the best) examples of that. We all knew this already but, WHITNEY RULES!!!!!!!!!


#3: Jailhouse Rock- Elvis Presley


Another artist who had a knack for making cover songs his own was Elvis Presley. Obviously Jailhouse Rock is not a cover, but it sure as Hell is memorable. Picking an Elvis Presley song for this list was HARD as the man has a lot of iconic songs. It was either this, Heartbreak Hotel or Hound Dog. But I feel that Jailhouse Rock really cemented who Presley was as an artist and this will most likely be the first song that comes to mind when thinking of Presley. Also, the song is catchy as Hell. I'm not even that big of a fan of Presley and even I admit that. Again, Presley has a buttload of iconic songs, but to me there's always been something about Jailhouse Rock, that just sticks with you. And I won't deny it's one of those songs that just make you want to dance. There's no denying that Presley is forever linked to this song.


#2: Billie Jean- Michael Jackson



If you think picking an Elvis Presley song for this list is hard, picking a Michael Jackson song was even WORSE. My top 2 songs ended up being this and Thriller. While Thriller was extremely tempting, ultimately it was Billie Jean that took the spot. Billie Jean for me marks the moment the world fully realized the icon that has graced the music world by storm. And from that moment on, Jackson could go nowhere but UP! Yes this man has so many songs to choose from. But at the end of the day, it was Billie Jean that started it all for him. However I will admit that due to his extensive library, Jackson is runner-up for today. But there's not denying that through this song, we witnessed the birth of a legend.



Like always, here are some honorable mentions. And there are several so get comfortable...............


 What A Wonderful World- Louis Armstrong  At Last- Etta James
-Oldie                                                                                                                          -Another Oldie


 I Want It That Way- Backstreet Boys  Bad Guy- Billie Eilish
-I HATE This Song 😒                                                                                               -Duh


 Believe- Cher                                                Hello- Lionel Richie
-Do You Believe In Life After Love?                                                                           -Not Adele's version


 Crazy- Patsy Cline                                         My Girl- The Temptations
-Either this or Sweet Dreams                                                                                    -There is only ONE David Ruffin


 Bring Me To Life- Evanescence                     YDOM- Lesley Gore
-METAL!                                                                                                                     -Don't tell her what to do!


 My Heart Will Go On- Celine Dion                 La Vie en Rose- Edith Piaf
-We'll Never Let Go Jack 😭                                                                                    -The only foreign language song mentioned


 Don't Stop Believin'- Journey                    WLGTDWI- Tina Turner
-Hold On To That Feelin'!                                                                                          -Who Needs A Heart When A Heart Can Be Broken


 Dream On- Aerosmith                                    YOK- Alanis Morrissette
-That Dang High Note!                                                                                              -She seems upset


 Back To Black- Amy Winehouse
-She should've went to rehab





#1: Respect- Aretha Franklin


Aretha Franklin also has an extensive library. Natural Woman, Think, Chain Of Fools, the list goes on. But there's a reason Respect is as iconic as it is. Like I Will Always Love You, Respect is also a cover song (Otis Redding being the original artist). But people barely even remember that as Franklin sung that song with style and a fierceness that cannot be ignored. Respect (and that voice) is in my opinion the reason Franklin is held to such a high regard. Another thing about the song is that I see it as a representation of Franklin not only as an artist, but as a person. The woman not only earned people's respect, but she really deserved it as well. This song to me is the purest definition of a signature song and perfect for my #1.


Link to the slide shows is down below. Thanks For Reading,

Slides:https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1QHwDrXE9V6UX_2BAOsHD0SMZAxHVZoVvuTSelpO4KQ0/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discombobulated But Good

  I've always had an odd relationship with The Color Purple . I don't care enough to read the book, and some family of mine participated in a community production of the Broadway musical. I do like the original movie, but it's also EXTREMELY annoying due to some of it's subject matters. I saw the remake yesterday, and it of course centers on Celie Harris-Johnson and the struggles she's had throughout her life. The movie is all over the place in terms of it's writing, pacing, and it's music (and considering this was directed by the same idiot behind Black Is King,  I am not surprised). Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible. But there were times in the movie where I wanted more but got less, and in the times I wanted less, I got more than I would like. A lot of songs from the musical were cut in favor of new songs that weren't so great. The songs from the musical that stayed in the movie were arranged horribly. I also felt that the plot moved pret

Top 10 Female Performances In Music Biopics

  This list is of acting portrayals of female singers in movie biopics. Tv movies will be considered, but Tv shows are excluded.  #10: Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash- Walk The Line Witherspoon's performance as June Carter Cash has had varied reception among critics and audiences, and that's understandable. Several people found her very annoying and disagreed with her Oscar win. I wouldn't say I agree with her win, but I don't really care enough to disagree either. Overall I thought she did a relatively good job as June Carter. A good job, not a great job (she's at the bottom of this list for a reason). The problem isn't even Witherspoon, it's just that other actresses on this list could easily outshine her.  It also doesn't help that Witherspoon is the only actress on this list whose character is not the center of the movie as "Walk The Line" obviously focuses on Johnny Cash. While that does give Witherspoon a disadvantage, for me it was