Skip to main content

Top 10 Male Performances In Music Biopics

 



So remember the list I did on female performances in music biopics last year? Well now it’s the boy’s turn. Like the previous list, I will consider TV performances but no TV shows.



#10: Lou Diamond Philips as Ritchie Valens- La Bamba

So La Bamba is centered on Ritchie Valens, who's mainly known for his cover of the notable Mexican folk song of the same name. I think the best thing about Philip's portrayal is that he is almost instantly likable. Valens seemed like an extremely sweet kid who just wanted to make the lives of him and his family better and unfortunately suffered a horrible fate just as his career began. The kid was already afraid of planes and ended up dying in a plane crash. That's just cruel. I also enjoyed Valens' relationship with his brother Bob, even though Bob was in my opinion, an IDIOT! But either way, it was very sweet. Though if you're incredibly close to your brother, then you won't be able to handle the ending.


#9: Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison- The Doors

The Doors was WEIRD. Please understand that I'm not a hippie, so every single thing that came out of Jim Morrison's mouth was the definition of NONSENSE. But I understand the acclaim for Kilmer's performance. The dude was INSANE, but it works for the type of movie and group that The Doors was. Now to be completely honest, I didn't like the movie as some of the scenes were WAY too long. But this list is not about the movies, it's about the performances of the subject matter. And as far as Kilmer goes, it's an A+. Of all the performances on this list, Kilmer's is probably the second most deranged (which in this case is a good thing). The first on the other hand belongs to my next pick.


#8: Gary Oldman as Sid Vicious- Sid & Nancy

Sid & Nancy was also very weird, but Gary Oldman acted the HELL out of this role. He was insane from beginning to end and really fed off of Chloe Webb's energy (who also did a very good job). They really capture Vicious' and Spungen's rather disturbing obsession with each other. I'm not really sure if I can call it love due to the tragic end of their story (Spungen's murder, Vicious' overdose), but either way it was very interesting (and concerning) to watch. Would I watch this movie again; no, not even a little. But I won't let that take away from Oldman's performance. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of his, but this movie makes me understand why he's so acclaimed.


#7: Gary Busey as Buddy Holly- The Buddy Holly Story

This is the second time I've mentioned Buddy Holly on a list. I never really saw him as an ambitious soul until I finally watched The Buddy Holly Story. And given the type of music he did was rather controversial at the time, he needed that mindset. That was probably the best part of Gary Busey's performance as he really captured Holly's fearlessness while also showing vulnerability when he needs to, whether it be Holly's relationship with his wife or his departure from The Crickets. It's ironic that both Philips and Holly are both on the list considering Holly's life was taken along with Valens in the same crash (which would become known as "The Day The Music Died").


#6: Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury- Bohemian Rhapsody

I understand that people have their issues with Bohemian Rhapsody. The movie was definitely not perfect, though personally I did enjoy it. And I do think that Rami Malek embraces every side of Freddie Mercury with respect. The strongest aspect of his performance was his approach towards Mercury's loneliness; his monologue in the rain for me is why he won the Oscar.  I would also like to note that if the band itself (who's members were involved with the movie) had issues with the movie or Malek, I don't think they would've supported it or the way it turned out. So if you're a fan of Queen but has issues with Malek and the movie, out of respect for the band, Shut the HELL up.

#5: Austin Butler as Elvis Presley- Elvis

If you followed my awards race commentaries last year, then you know I ADORE Austin Butler. To rehash what I said in last year's introduction, I didn't particularly care for Butler growing up. Then Elvis happened. Like Malek, Butler also embraces Presley with respect and you can tell from beginning to end how hard he worked on perfecting his portrayal to the point where it actually sent him to the hospital (which is concerning). But I was very impressed with how well Butler portrayed Presley's slow but effective transition from a naïve starry eyed kid to a surprisingly lonely drug addict. Also, I have a crush on him now for a reason (several actually, but that's not the point). If you ask me, it was a homerun. I will also admit this made me look at Presley in almost a whole new light. I personally am not a huge fan of Presley, but I do respect him.


#4: Taron Egerton as Elton John- Rocketman

Taron Egerton's journey was interesting because he went from singing Elton John (Sing), to saving Elton John (Kingsman) to finally being Elton John. I honestly had a hard time choosing whether I should put Butler or Egerton higher. The only reason Egerton is higher is because this came out first. Not that it takes away from his performance. I would describe Egerton's performance in a weird way as Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as he was at times extremely zany but other times was mentally unstable and unbearable to be around (he's a drug addict, what do you expect). This is probably Egerton's best performance and I was very surprised he didn't get an Oscar nomination. But it is the way it is.

#3: Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash- Walk The Line

Joaquin Phoenix is one of those people who's incapable of doing a bad performance even if he tried. His performance in Walk The Line is no exception. Obviously the movie focuses on Johnny Cash's career, but it also focuses on his relationship with June Carter Cash. I think what makes Phoenix's take on Cash great is that the man tried to do good, but temptation keeps getting in the way. Whether it be his attraction to June or of course, drugs. I will also call out Phoenix's chemistry with Reese Witherspoon (who was on my list for the girls). They worked very well together considering they're the last people I would pair together (neither of them did anything wrong, I just wouldn't see them as a pair if it weren't for this movie).

#2: F. Murray Abraham as Antonio Salieri- Amadeus


I have seen Amadeus way more times than I should, and I blame my high school music teacher. There were 2 strong contenders in this film for this list, but F. Murray Abraham's performance was both brilliant and kind of insane. Antonio Salieri's jealousy towards Mozart was not only expertly portrayed, but also kind of pissed me off (Salieri's weird relationship with God being the reason why). His guilt later in the film was also surprisingly poignant. This is the 5th selection on this list with an Oscar nomination and the 2nd to win, and it was very well deserved. Though this performance is very strong, it's runner-up for today. But I applaud Mr. Abraham for his remarkable work.




And like always, some honorable mentions........................


 Tom Hulce as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart- Amadeus   Chadwick Boseman as James Brown-GOU

-I did say the movie had 2 strong contenders                                                           - RIP to both


Adrien Brody as Władysław Szpilman- The Pianist   Andrew Garfield as Jonathan Larson-TTB

-Never seen it                                                                                                       - Wait, the dude can SING?! 😳




#1: Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles- Ray

Jamie Foxx’s performance in Ray was kind of an obvious pick for #1. Given the layers the performance had, it’s hard to believe this guy is also a comedian. Even now sometimes it’s still hard to believe he was able to pull it off. And Foxx had a lot to take on for more reasons aside from Charles being an icon. Pulling off Charles' trauma as well as his blindness is a huge challenge. But Foxx approached this head on and pulled it off beautifully. The man used prosthetics to cover his eyes for the role, that's dedication. Foxx is the 3rd selection on this list to win an Oscar for his performance. While it’s not my favorite from Foxx (that honor belongs to Dreamgirls), I do believe he truly earned his win. The only downside to Foxx’s portrayal was that Mr. Charles (whom Foxx got to meet), did not live to see the film. But I think he would’ve liked it.



If you have not seen the girl's list, there's a link down below along with the Google slides. Thanks for reading.


Girl's list: https://naesnotlikeyou.blogspot.com/2023/08/top-10-female-performances-in-music.html

Google: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1wdkPdeIW3CFwawnSKlJTYvXoiXb_MPhDkLJmn326-hU/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discombobulated But Good

  I've always had an odd relationship with The Color Purple . I don't care enough to read the book, and some family of mine participated in a community production of the Broadway musical. I do like the original movie, but it's also EXTREMELY annoying due to some of it's subject matters. I saw the remake yesterday, and it of course centers on Celie Harris-Johnson and the struggles she's had throughout her life. The movie is all over the place in terms of it's writing, pacing, and it's music (and considering this was directed by the same idiot behind Black Is King,  I am not surprised). Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible. But there were times in the movie where I wanted more but got less, and in the times I wanted less, I got more than I would like. A lot of songs from the musical were cut in favor of new songs that weren't so great. The songs from the musical that stayed in the movie were arranged horribly. I also felt that the plot moved pret

Top 10 Female Performances In Music Biopics

  This list is of acting portrayals of female singers in movie biopics. Tv movies will be considered, but Tv shows are excluded.  #10: Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash- Walk The Line Witherspoon's performance as June Carter Cash has had varied reception among critics and audiences, and that's understandable. Several people found her very annoying and disagreed with her Oscar win. I wouldn't say I agree with her win, but I don't really care enough to disagree either. Overall I thought she did a relatively good job as June Carter. A good job, not a great job (she's at the bottom of this list for a reason). The problem isn't even Witherspoon, it's just that other actresses on this list could easily outshine her.  It also doesn't help that Witherspoon is the only actress on this list whose character is not the center of the movie as "Walk The Line" obviously focuses on Johnny Cash. While that does give Witherspoon a disadvantage, for me it was

Top 10 Signature Songs

  You know how an artists has that one song that pretty much defines their career and who they are as an artist? This is a list of those songs. Please keep in mind that just because an artist and their song is on the list doesn’t mean I like the song or the artist (especially the artist). It just means that I acknowledge the impact and importance of the song and/or artist. One song per artist. #10: The Real Slim Shady- Eminem Technically speaking, Lose Yourself is more notable than The Real Slim Shady . But I feel like this song really set the standard on who Eminem is as an artist. He pretty much hit the jackpot when coming up with such an iconic nickname, and Eminem presents it with so much personality, style, rhythm and aggression that it just works. I'm not even sure if it could have as much of an effect on people with someone else in the track. Only Eminem could make it work. Again I have nothing against Lose Yourself , in fact I love that song more than this one. But I feel