Skip to main content

Top 10 Saddest TV Deaths Of The 2010s


So this is a list of the most notable depressing deaths that have occurred on television between 2010 and 2019. I would like to quickly clarify that just because a character or TV show has appeared on the list does not mean I have seen all of them or even like all of them. In fact, I think I either haven’t seen or I despise several of these selections. I’m just simply acknowledging the significance of these character’s deaths in both its show and on television itself at that time. 


#10: Bob Newby- Stranger Things


Bob Newby was a favored character introduced in season 2 of the Netflix phenomenon as the current significant other to Joyce Byers. His time on the show was obviously short but impactful, and was probably one of the show’s most likable characters due to his nerdy but kind and even heroic nature. Unfortunately, it was his heroic side that resulted in his undoing. And getting eaten by multiple demodogs in front of your girlfriend is not a fun way to go. Bob is also an unfortunate example of Stranger Things introducing new characters just to kill them off in the same season. Bob (along with Eddie) is one of the least deserving characters of that fate.


#9: Hank Schrader- Breaking Bad


Hank may have been a jerk at times, but he meant well. He clearly loved his job, was kind to Walt and his love for Marie (who’s the absolute WORST) was apparent (except for that period where he was bedridden). He probably had one of my favorite arcs on the show, and I felt HORRIBLE for him multiple times. Unfortunately he met an intense end during the episode “Ozymandias” at the hands of “Uncle” Jack. But Hank remained a BOSS until the very end, showing no fear from start to finish. I respect that. It really sucked to see Hank go. But if it was inevitable, then he might as well go in the most macho way possible.


#8: Derek Shepherd- Grey's Anatomy


Grey’s Anatomy (which seriously needs to END already) is one of those TV shows that kills EVERYBODY. I’m surprised it still has any characters left at this point. No character is safe from the wrath of Shonda Rhimes, not even Mr. “McDreamy” himself, Derek Shepherd. Fans learned that the hard way during season 11 when he is involved in a nasty car accident. He helps other victims of the accident before getting hit by a semi-truck. That as well as hesitation in getting him proper treatment ultimately leaves him brain dead. The episode’s final moments show Meredith sadly taking Derek off life support. And with that, Grey’s Anatomy lost one of its most iconic characters. Talk about the end of an era.


#7: Hannah Baker- 13 Reasons Why


To be honest I felt worse for Justin than I did for Hannah (coming from someone who hates this show). But his death doesn’t occur until 2020, so unfortunately he’s ineligible. Hannah is obviously the reason this show (as well as the book) even takes place as the entire plot revolved around her suicide and why it happened, of course dividing her reasoning into 13 different subjects crucial to her final decision to take her life. The death itself is pretty brutal, so brutal that Netflix had to alter the scene in 2019. This show did not age well in my humble opinion, but Hannah’s final moments still stick (though most likely not in the greatest way).


#6: Fred Andrews- Riverdale


In 2019, Beverly Hills 90210 fans everywhere mourned the loss of Luke Perry, who portrayed Dylan on the show. At the time of his passing, Perry was portraying Fred Andrews (father of Archie Andrews) on the CW series Riverdale. In response to his passing, the show paid tribute to Perry in the very first episode of season 4. His character is killed in a hit-&-run while trying to help another bystander. Riverdale is atrocious, but I think it’s safe to say that pretty much everyone united in that moment. Whether anyone hated the show or not, it was obviously very sad to see Perry go and the show honored him the best it could. Sadly, 90210 would also lose Shannen Doherty (who guest-starred in this episode) 5 years later.


#5: Robb, Catelyn & Talisa Stark- Game Of Thrones


Game Of Thrones is another TV show that kills everybody. It even killed Daenerys, I’m surprised it didn’t kill Tyrion. Obviously picking just one death from the show was not an easy task. However I’m well aware that the Red Wedding probably traumatized a generation, so I’m going with that one. I’m no wedding planner but I’m pretty sure they’re supposed to be happy occasions, not events where there’s mass murder. Including a pregnant woman getting stabbed in the gut, a mom begging for her son’s life only to be unsuccessful, and eventually her dying as well. So yeah, I don’t think I would've wanted to attend this wedding.


#4: Glenn Rhee- The Walking Dead


And here we have yet ANOTHER TV show that kills everybody. But what do you expect, the show is literally about a zombie outbreak. Viewers were already worried about the fan-favored Glenn when Negan was introduced in the previous episode, which I believe ended with him killing a then unknown character. The character was actually revealed to be Abraham and it looked like Glenn would live to see another day. Then 2 seconds later, Negan bashed his head open and it was bye-bye Glenn. While Carl’s death in 2018 was also a strong contender for this list, there was a reason people had a soft spot for Glenn and why he was deeply missed.


#3: Poussey Washington- Orange Is The New Black


I’m gonna be honest, I have never watched this show and I would rather stab myself in the eye than ever watch it. So don’t be surprised if my description of this scene might be inaccurate. Here’s what I know; It is to my understanding that the inmates weren’t particularly huge fans of a guard by the name of Piscatella. So I guess they did a little protest and he ordered his guards to apprehend the inmates, resulting in Crazy-Eyes having a meltdown. Poussey attempts to calm the situation leading to a guard subduing her. Apparently a little too much as she ends up dead by the time he lets go, supposedly from crushing her. Oops.


#2: Finn Hudson- Glee

Of all the shows mentioned on this list, the one that’s aged the worst is Glee. From questionable character moments, to controversies involving the actors, to 3 actors DYING! The show’s run of misfortune began with the surprise passing of Cory Monteith, who apparently had been struggling with drugs since 13 before fatally overdosing in 2013. Obviously he was still playing Finn on the show at the time. In the aftermath of his passing, the show aired a tribute episode to Monteith titled “The Quarterback”, which featured the characters mourning Finn’s offscreen death. The controversial Mark Salling and tragic Naya Rivera would follow in later years.


Like always, some honorable mentions............................................


Lexa- The 100                     Opie Winston- Sons Of Anarchy
-Don't care for this show                                         -This one HURT!😭


 Wes Gibbins- HTGAWM    Rayna James- Nashville

-Guess he didn't get away                       -Kind of ironic


 Will Gardner- The Good Wife    Henry Allen- The Flash
-Sucks for Alicia                                                            - This One PISSED ME OFF!😡



#1: Jack Pearson- This Is Us
Jack from what it looked like quickly became one of the most likable characters in the 2010s. He wasn’t perfect (no one is except Jesus), but he clearly loved his family and without a doubt left an extremely positive impression on viewers. We actually learn of his passing during the first season but do not witness it until the following season. Super Bowl Sunday goes horribly wrong when a fire breaks out in the Pearson’s home. Jack is able to get his family out of harm’s way, and at first appears to have died in the fire in an attempt to save Kate’s dog only to survive that as well. That is until he gets to the hospital and suffers a “widow maker” heart attack. I personally don’t think there was a character better suited for #1 than Jack.


Google Slides link is down below. Thanks For Reading

Google-https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1WGMPmImLqR1CElMYgEsktCofxDVKRWLoqpWG1ltDmfk/edit?usp=sharing

Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/naomi.chadwick.58/
X-@ChadwickNa28887
Email-naenotlikeyou@gmail.com
Instagram-https://www.instagram.com/ihearttop123/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Idol 2026 Day 1: Introduction

With the Top 20 Officially decided, the time has come for my annual Idol rankings and commentaries. Quick little explanation; I will be saying my thoughts on the contestants and their performances. In typical 'me' fashion, I will rank each performance to #1. But unlike my normal lists, this will be from worst to best. This will be starting in two weeks as today is just an introduction. I present to you our Top 20;   Philmon Lee                                                        Madison Moon  Braden Rumfelt                    Jake Thistle  Jesse Findling                          Jordan McCullough (Platinum)  Ruby Rae                   ...

Last Minute Music Reviews

  So here are some last minute reviews of songs that I've heard over the past few months that did not reach #1;   Where Is My Husband - Raye This is incredibly fun and strangely catchy. While this is not officially a jazz song, this obviously has jazz influence and it works very well for this song. I will go ahead and admit that this is my introduction to Raya, I have not listened to Oscar Winning Tears . So far, I'm intrigued.    Midnight Sun - Zara Larsson This song is kind of AWESOME. Not only is the production GORGEOUS, but it also has a very nice hook that goes smoothly with Larsson's voice. My sister actually recommended this song to me and I see why. Larsson does currently have a Grammy nomination for this. She's gonna lose, but I'm glad this song got recognized. If my sister see's this, thank you.   How It's Done - Huntrix (From KPop Demon Hunters ) I have been meaning to review this for a while, but I kept getting lazy. Like Golden , this song has g...

So.......The Bride😕

So I was completely off-track with The Bride . Did not expect the film to crash and burn as hard as it did with both critics AND the box-office. After getting murdered, a woman by the name of Ida is brought back to life with the intention of being a companion to the oh-so iconic Frankenstein. And together they wreck havoc. Like Wuthering Heights , the movie wasn't terrible but it had a lot of problems. The biggest issue with this film is that it tries way too hard to be edgy and it just doesn't work. It wanted to be this hardcore feminist take on Frankenstein , but it just felt convoluted and slightly underwritten. It had this plotline involving Ida causing some revolution for women and did pretty much nothing with it until the last minute. It was kind of a let down. The best thing about the movie however was the performances and chemistry between Buckley and Christian Bale. I thought they were strangely endearing, and this might be a better love story than Wuthering Heights  (...