I'm not the biggest fan of the original Practical Magic. I don't hate it or anything, it's a relatively cute and harmless film (sort of). I didn't realize that it was based on a book that eventually got a sequel in 2021, so I guess Hollywood decided that meant the movie needed a sequel as well. Oscar winners Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman return as the Owens sister set off to save Bullock's daughter.
The biggest issue with the movie was that it basically undid all the progress from the first one. It literally begins with Bullock erasing her daughters' memories of magic. "Rehash" sequels is obviously a recurring issue in Hollywood (this year in particular) and this is probably one of the worst examples. It makes me wonder if the production team even tried to come up with a new story. The film did do a few things differently, but just barely.
I also was very annoyed with Bullock's character throughout the film. I felt like she was unnecessarily mad at everyone for no reason. I also wonder why they did not get Evan Rachel Wood to return as one of Bullock's daughters as she was in the original. And lastly they did very little with Bullock's other daughter.
But one thing the film did do well was a passing of the torch like resolution. Bullock and Kidman basically became Jet and Frances, and I felt that was a very smooth transition.
The movie wasn't bad, but it was problematic. Thanks For Reading.
Comments
Post a Comment