This movie went through A LOT! Getting pulled from theaters, the leak, the limited theater release, the push-forward date; it was absolutely ridiculous. Well it's finally out and about (legally anyway), and we've finally witnessed whether or not it was all worth it. 13 years after the events of the original series, Aang and his friends find themselves dumb-founded when they discover yet another frozen airbender and learn of a staff that can grant non-benders the ability to airbend.
As a both a longtime fan of Avatar and a critic, I loved this movie. Obviously the animation is gorgeous and I am so sorry for the inconvenience the animators experienced throughout this entire process of getting this film made. I do hope they are still proud of what they've made. This movie does have some nostalgia bait but it's not overly reliant on that. And the team, though older and wiser, still remain their old selves. The movie didn't try to change them or degrade them like most remakes or continuations do now adays. It was quite refreshing.
The voice acting was spot on. I know a lot of people are annoyed that the original actors aren't here and for good reason, but I would care more if the new actors didn't embody the characters properly. Every single one of them captured the spirit of each character beautifully. They genuinely did sound like the adult versions of Team Avatar. The cast itself actually has several A-listers including Dave Bautista, Ke Huy Quan, and Steven Yeun voicing my boy Zuko!π₯°
Bautista's character Tagah serves as the villain. And the biggest reason I liked him as a villain is because it shows that every nation is capable of corruption and evil, It's never just one certain nation. This is the first time their universe has seen an airbender use their abilities for evil considering it is a good while before Zaheer enters the picture, completely disregarding what the air nomads are supposed to stand for. Very good contrast to Aang, who still believed in peace despite his entire culture being wipeout though Tagah couldn't see that happening anymore. They both wanted the same thing, but Aang's desire to bring his culture became his #1 weakness the second Tagah went too far. Tagah was a really good villain and shout-out to Bautista for his work.
Speaking as a critic however, this movie is WAY too fast-paced. We had very little time to marinate some areas of the plot throughout this movie, which is very shocking to me. It often just moved right on to the next stage of the film super quick. The film also surprisingly didn't do much with the Denied, I was expecting more from them and one of the character's redemption towards the end of the film didn't have much of an affect on me.
But overall it's so good to see Team Avatar again, and all grown up too. I'm sorry that this got leaked and pulled out of theaters, but I enjoyed this movie regardless of its flaws and setbacks. Thanks for reading
Comments
Post a Comment